Overview Curriculum Elective Courses
Physics is devoted to the study and understanding of nature. Considered the most fundamental science, it deals with the constituents, properties, and evolution of the entire universe, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies. It is also concerned with the mathematical formulation of the fundamental laws of nature.
In our graduate program students will be engaged mainly in research along with initial broad training in fundamental core topics in physics as the foundation of modern technologies. This program of study leading to the degree of Master of Science, while emphasizing continued work in basic physics, permits many options in several applied physics specialties.
Aim of the Program
The aim of the graduate program in physics is to teach and train students to meet the growing technological needs of the industries of Pakistan in the area of Physics, provide sufficient opportunity for skill acquisition in the use of experimental, workshop and investigative tools of pure and applied physics. The program is sufficiently flexible in its electives to provide an excellent preparation for careers in many different areas of pure and applied physics. The MS Physics is designed to provide an education based on science both for students planning to go on to doctoral study, and for those intending to immediately pursue professional careers in physics or an allied field in which sound knowledge of physics is important.
The Department of Physics organizes and implements its strategic plan around the following goals:
- Develop new facilities for interaction with and educating our students.
- Provide an outstanding graduate experience in the physical sciences.
- Provide mentoring and support for young faculty and researchers who will become leaders of their field.
- Create advanced facilities for doing research in the various applied physics branches
- Achieve a ranking of the Department at UMT as one of the top departments in the country through world-class basic and translational research (in 5-10 yrs).
- Strengthen the scientific, economic, and societal impact of the Department’s discoveries, innovations, and achievements, and increase awareness of the contributions made by the department to issues of global importance and increase and improve global scale connections.
- Recruit and retain a distinguished and diverse faculty, staff and student body.
- Develop and maintain a vital, supportive and collegial work/study environment.
This program will be anticipating trends and providing students with integrated, cross disciplinary scientific knowledge and professional skills.
This academic program is designed to emphasize preparation for professional in industry, atomic and space organizations, forensic science, meteorology, electronics, design & development engineering, research laboratories. Career opportunities in physics include the areas of basic research, applied research and development, biotechnology, materials for alternate energy solutions. Moreover, a degree in physics can be an excellent background for careers in many related fields, including, radiology, medicine, business, environmental science, and other areas of science. There are hundreds of companies/industries which are active in the areas of semiconductor devices, electronic equipments, nanomaterials and laser– all key areas that are covered by our MS degree. Taking this degree will immediately open up access to jobs in many multinational companies, which need highly skilled staff with a physics background.
MS Program Summary
Duration 02 years
Credit Hours 30
16 years of formal education
4 years bachelor degree in relevant discipline with 2.5/4
CGPA + GAT 50%